Note: Vegan recipes contain no dairy or eggs, in addition to no meat, poultry or fish.
(Since vegans don’t eat fish, I created this tuna like dish from tempeh, a soybean product made from the whole bean.)
Utensils: Cutting board, knife, bowl, grater
Prep. Time: About 15 minutes
Cooking Time: About 5 minutes for the tempeh
(Buy as many organic veggies as possible)
One package of tempeh, wrapping removed and cut in half crosswise
one carrot, washed, peeled, and grated
2-3 slices of a leek
one red radish, washed and grated
one celery stalk, washed chopped
(vegan) mayonnaise or tahini to taste
salt & pepper to taste
chives for garnish
(Picture of various ingredients for tempuna. Feel free to delete items you do not enjoy.)
1. Steam tempeh for about 5 minutes to soften.
2. While tempeh is steaming, prepare the veggies for the dish.
3. Remove tempeh, cool slightly, then hand grate into coarse pieces.
4. Place tempeh in bowl and begin to add veggies. Mix in mayo or tahini a little at a time until the dish resembles the creaminess of tuna fish salad.
5. Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve chilled as a spread on crackers or as a spread on a sandwich, sprinkling on chives for garnish. For a spicier version, add some cayenne pepper.
This recipe is from my website: www.menupause.info. Check it out for more recipes under Kitchen Nutrition