A couple of weeks ago I posted Sassy Lassi, a smoothie using Indian spices. (Here’s the internal link to the recipe:
I liked the spices so much, I decided to test them on sweet potatoes and they were very snappy! Here’s the recipe. I used four different kinds of sweet potatoes from Whole Foods, but you can use just one kind.
This might be a nice sweet potato side dish for Thanksgiving, using spices similar to pumpkin pie.
Cutting board & knife, cookie sheet or baking pan
Prep Time: About 20 minutes
Cooking Time: About 20 minutes
Categories: Vegan, Gluten & No added sugar (Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet)
Two large sweet potatoes = to 4 cups when cubed or diced
1-2 Tbl. plus oil for potatoes: grape seed oil, coconut oil, or oil of your choice
1-2 tsp. oil for for cookie sheet
Ground Spices (about 1/4-1/2 tsp. each-more or less to your taste):
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, coriander, cardamom, ginger
Directions (Preheat oven to 350 degrees before preparing potatoes)
1. Scrub and peel sweet potatoes; cut into cubes or dice them .
2. Toss with 1 tablespoons oil; if they look dry, add another tablespoon.
3. Place on a barely oiled cookie sheet, spreading one or two tsp. with a pastry brush or paper towel.
4. Spread potatoes onto cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, turning at least once. If your potatoes are diced and not cubed, cooking time will be shorter.
5. For crispy potatoes, as in the photo, put oven on broil for 1 -2 minutes, tossing potatoes to get all of them crispy.
Serve hot. Serves 2 to 4, depending on whether this is a main veggie or just a side dish. I ate them all!!!