If you plan to follow my food diary, you will notice that I use some basic food items regularly. I have abbreviations for some of the items, and I will post the key at the beginning of each day.
1. Protein Powder – I often make a smoothie with cold water, coconut water, or Rice Dream & a scoop of Protein Powder. I currently use a product from Metagenics, but I keep trying different brands. Abbreviation PP
2. Dandy – This is a coffee substitute. My acupuncturist recommended that I not drink coffee, although some caffeine not from coffee is ok, so I sometimes drink Chai Tea. Abbreviated form: Dandy
3. MacNut Oil- I often use macadamia nut oil because it has the highest smoke point, the ratio of omega 6s to omega 3s is considered one of the best, and it has a mild flavor.Â Abbreviated form: Mac Oil
4. Olive Oil – I use this on salads and after I steam or stir fry a veggie dish with water or stock. I rarely fry with oil, and when I do, I often use a spray bottle of oil or Mac Oil.Â Abbreviation: OO
5. Gluten Free– I am currently on a gluten free and dairy free program because it is supposed to help with tinnitus, which is a buzzing, ringing, or hissing in the ears. I also find that when I eat no gluten (wheat, rye, barley, and oats, although oats are not strictly gluten, but often processed with gluten grains), I find I am not bloated, so I plan to stay on it indefinitely. Abbreviation: GF
6. Dairy Free- See gluten free above. The two seem go together, that is, people with gluten sensitivities often have dairy issues. I can eat a small amount of goat cheese without any reaction. Goat organs are similar in size to humans, so people allergic or lactose intolerant can sometimes tolerate goat milk. Abbreviation: DF
7. Sugar Free- When I label something sugar free, this means no added sugar of any kind, including honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, rice syrup, barley malt, sorghum, etc.Â But I do use dates, raisins, sweet potatoes, etc. which have natural sugars. Abbreviation: SF
8. and 9. Vegetarian & Vegan- A dish can be vegetarian but not vegan. Vegan implies no dairy, eggs, or animal products of any kind.
Abbreviations: For vegetarian I will use VEG and for Vegan I will use V. If something is labeled vegan, there is no need for dairy free, because vegan, by definition, is dairy free.
10. No Salt Added – I use a small amount of sea salt and soy sauce for flavor, but when I donâ€™t, I will label it as no salt added. Some foods, such as celery, have enough sodium to add a slightly salty taste to foods. This is not what I mean by no salt added. This means I do not take a saltshaker or tamari bottle and shake it on my foods. Abbreviation: NSA
As I have new basic items, I will add them to this list and the abbreviation or abbreviated word list, which currently looks like this in alphabetical order:
Dairy Free – DF
Gluten Free – GF
Dandy Blend- Dandy
Macadamia Nut Oil- Mac Oil
NSA- No salt added
Olive Oil – OO
Protein Powder – PP
Sugar Free – SF
Vegetarian – VEG
Vegan – V