Cucumbers are cool! Here’s a list from www.care2.com of some of cucumbers’ benefits:
1. Relieve heartburn 2. Flush toxins 3. Full of vitamins (A,B &C)
4. Good for skin 5. Aid in weight loss 6. Revive the eyes
7. Cut cancer 8. Good for hair & nails 9. Stabilize blood pressure
9. Refresh the mouth 10. Help digestion 11. Good for diabetics
12. Soothe muscles & joint pain 13. Keep kidneys in shape
14. Reduce cholesterol 15. Keep kidneys in shape
Here’s my picture and easy recipe for a cool, summer salad:
Cuke Salad with Asian Dressing
Utensils: Cutting board & knife, strainer, serving platter, large bowl, small bowl or blender for dressing
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: None!
Categories: Vegan, Gluten-Free, No added sugar
1/2 large, organic cucumber or two small ones
3-4 red onion slices
Organic lettuce of choice, such as Romaine or butter crunch
3 Tbl. sesame oil (toasted or regular)
1 Tbl. plum or rice vinegar
1 tsp. of tamari (GF) soy sauce
Pinch each of mustard, cumin, garlic
1. Wash lettuce and dry with a towel or spin dry. Place on the serving platter.
2. Whisk dressing ingredients by hand or in the blender.
3. Wash & slice cucumber thinly. If the skin feels tough, peel it or peel some of it lengthwise.
4. Wash & slice onion. Place both in a bowl to toss.
5. Take dressing and add to bowl and toss well.
6. Place dressed salad on platter lined with lettuce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
Serves 2-4, depending it if it a side salad or main dish salad when cheese or tofu is added.
Note: If you are not going to eat it right away, place in ‘fridge and toss right before serving.
Variations: If you eat cheese, feel free to add feta or flavored tofu. Add sprouts. Substitute sunflower seeds for sesame seeds.