I made this salad at the end of August, when pomegranate seeds come into the fall limelight. The crunch of the apples, which are also a fall food, plus raw sunflowers seeds, give this dish a healthy crunch and lovely color, especially if you keep the red skin of the organic apple on the fruit.
Ingredients (I used all organic, because the foods below are heavily sprayed)
one large apple (gala, pink lady, etc.), washed, cut, cored, and diced
juice of one half Â limeÂ
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 celery stalks, trimmed, washed and diced
1/2 dozen red grapes,cut in half
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1 tsp. olive or walnut oil
lettuce leaves or endive leaves
juice of 1/2 lime (Other half)
1/2 tsp. 5 spice powder (optional)
sliced fennel bulb or diced cucumber (optional)
crumbled goat feta (optional)
1. Place diced apples in a medium sized serving bowl and squeeze 1/2 lime (or lemon juice) over the apples
2. Add raw sunflower seeds, diced celery, halved grapes, and pomegranate seeds.
3. Toss salad with olive oil. Add five spice powder if using. (Sub. other condiment of your choice.)
4. Place lettuce or endive leaves on a platter or separate plates. Spoon salad over leaves.
5. Sprinkle on the lime juice from other half of lime.
6. Add optional fennel or cukes and feta. Serve chilled.
Yield: Serves 2 as a main dish salad, four as a side salad.