The avocado is one of my favorite “fruity vegetables.” Since I do not like mayonnaise, I made this slaw by pureeing the avocado with water and lemon juice. And since I don’t usually eat carrots in the summer, because I eat them all winter, this is a good salad for now. This is also a good way to sneak in dark greens.
Utensils: Cutting board, knife, bowls, blender
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cook. Time: None!
Category: Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free
1 – 2 carrots (or a mixture of carrots & daikon radish)
1 cup finely chopped baby arugula, parsley, or baby spinach
juice of 1/2 lemon
Wheat free soy sauce or Bragg’s Aminos
Dash of Mustard and/or Ginger Juice (optional)
Olive & artichoke hearts for garnish (optional)
1. Wash & scrub carrots. Grate up to one cup. (I used 1/2 daikon and 1/2 carrots.)
2. Wash, drain and finely chop baby arugula or green of your choice.
3. Puree avocado in blender with lemon juice and about 1/3 cup water. It should be the consistency of thin mayonnaise. (Add ginger, mustard and soy sauce if you wish a zestier salad.)
4. Mix together grated carrots (& daikon if using) and arugula.Â Mix in avocado “mayonnaise” with the otherÂ ingredients. (My mixture was a little juicy, so you may want to drain off some of the liquid. I actually liked it juicy, though.)
5. Place the salad in a small bowl and press to the shape of the bowl. (Size of a monkey dish). Turm upside down on a small plate. Garnish with sprouts, and if you like, add artichoke hearts and an olive on top for color.
Yield: Serves two, although I liked it so much, I ate it all!
Variation: For added crunch, mix in some sunflower seeds. I actually soaked mine in the morning, so they would be a little softer.