Last week I purchased some broccoli slaw+ at Trader Joe’s. It actually has broccoli & carrot slivers, not just broccoli. I used it the other night to make a quick soup and added edamame beans. Since today is Bean Day I thought I’d post it before tomorrow comes in 2 hours.
Utensils: Cutting board, knife, soup pot, serving bowls
Prep. Time: 15 min.*
Cooking Time: 15 minutes*
Categories: Vegan, gluten free
* You actually prep and cook at the same time, so 20 minutes may be all you need if you use the pre-cut squash, as I did.
3 cups soup stock or broth
1/2-3/4 cup peeled & diced sweet potatoes or butternut squash which I purchased peeled & cut
1/2 cup washed & sliced leek, white part (and one garlic clove, minced-optional)
1/2-1 cup edamame (green soy) beans or peas or lima beans
1 cup broccoli slaw+
tamari soy sauce (no gluten) or salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot place broth and add the diced potatoes or squash and cook on high.
2. While this veggie is cooking, you may start to add the quicker-cooking items: the sliced leek, the (frozen) edamame beans or other beans of choice, and the broccoli slaw.
3. When the soup boils, turn onto low and cook for about 10 minutes more or until the squash or potatoes are tender.
4. Add tamari or salt & pepper to taste. The soup stock is already seasoned, so be careful how much you add of the seasoning.
Optional ingredients: I added some chopped spinach and soaked arame seaweed at the end of the 10 minutes for added color and nutrition.
+Picture of T.J.’s broccoli slaw