Note: Last month was Breast Cancer Awareness Month & I forgot to post this. I profiled Dr. Howard when she was my thermographer. Now I receive my thermogram from my local D.O. She presents a very interesting case about bras based on books by the authors below. I read the first one and the second one looks interesting. Dr. Howard’s contact info is below. es
Every morning women put on their bra as part of their daily routine. Since breasts have become fashion accessories we must make sure they take their rightful place, but what if your bra was harming your health, would you forsake it?
Syndy Ross Singer & Soma Grismaijer, two researchers boldly studied the effects of bras on women’s health published their findings in Dressed to Kill; The link Between Breast Cancer and Bras with a follow up Get it Off! Understanding The Cause of Breast Pain, Cysts and Cancer.Â Despite lawsuit threats by the Intimate Apparel Council, Singer & Grismaijer noted that the cancer industry has never looked at bras and breast constriction as a possible cause of breast cancer concluding that getting rid of bras would cost the medical industry billions.
Surrounding our breasts is the greatest number of lymph vessels and nodes.Â When the breast region is constricted by a bra, the lymph system cannot flow freely causing a buildup of fluid, less effective feeding and cleansing of the tissue, an increase in accumulated toxins and restriction of lymphocytes which destroy abnormal cells. In addition, the petrochemicals in bra materials can leach out of the fabric and into the skin causing loss of breast skin color and dermatitis. Dr. Irmgard Keeler-Howard of Houghton College states that chemicals that comprise elastic may be cancer causing.
Consider Singer & Grismaijer’s findings:
- Women wearing bras 24 hours/ day were 125 times more likely (3 out of 4 chance) to developing breast cancer
- Women wearing bras more than 12 hours/day but not to bed had a 1 out of 7 risk
- Women wearing bras less than 12 hours/day had a 1 out of 152 risk
- Women rarely or never wearing bras had a 1 out of 168 change of breast cancer
- Wearing a bra at least 14 hours/ day tends to increase the hormone prolactin, which decreases circulation to the breast tissue.
- 80% of bra wearers who experience lumps, cysts, and tenderness saw their symptoms vanish, within a month of getting rid of their bra
- In 1997 Singer compared a group of women in Fiji: Half the women wore bras and the other half went without. Diet, environment and lifestyle of both groups were the same. Those wearing bras had the same rate of breast cancer as women in the US. Those going braless experienced practically no breast cancer.
It’s time we consider health over fashion and demand new fashion trends featuring breasts au natural! Enhance lymph flow with gentle lymph massage, moving them from the nipple outwards, mostly toward the armpit. Stimulate lymph flow by dry brushing, rebounding on a mini trampoline or bouncing on a gym ball while moving the arms.Â If you must wear a bra consider bras made from natural fabrics and avoid padded, push-up, sports, strapless, underwire and tight/ill fitting bras which contribute to breast compression as well as bras resembling body armor which may heat up breasts to unnatural temperatures.
Dr. Pamela Howard, DC, Certified Clinical Thermographer; founded Advanced Thermal Imaging in 2005 to provide a safe, non-invasive means of detecting health concerns utilizing Thermography. www.Athermalimage.com 1.866.522.3484