January has been a cold, wet, and snowy month on the East Coast. For me, the cold weather triggers denser foods like soups and root veggies in a salad. Today’s salad uses grated cauliflower for the “snow.” It seems that this veggie has become the darling of the produce department. At Trader Joe’s I saw a young women place three large cauliflowers in her shopping cart. We talked about how she used them, and I shared some of my recipe ideas. *
Showcasing cauliflower with this recipe is a good excuse to write about its nutritional value. It is one of the few “white” foods that is good for you, as opposed to white bread, white potatoes that many people avoid because of the high carbs, and other denatured foods that are stripped of their natural colors and nutrients in processing.
Here is a food byte about cauliflower:
Cauliflower – The World’s Healthiest Foods
Utensils: Cutting board & knife, colander, mixing bowl, serving bowl or platter
Prep. Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: None!
Categories: Raw, Vegan (V), Gluten Free (GF) No Sugar Added (NSA)
Ingredients (Except for cauliflower, you can choose any of the salad items)
1 to 1 1/2 cups ripped or chopped organic greens of choice
1 cup organic broccoli slaw
2-3 org. radishes, sliced or grated
1 piece of fennel bulb, sliced thinly
3-4 scallions, sliced into thin pieces crosswise, mostly white part
2 Tbl. Olive oil and lemon or your favorite dressing
2-3 organic cauliflowerettes (grated and set aside)
- Wash all the items, drain, and cut, rip, slice, dice, or grate as indicated. Place in a large bowl, except for cauliflower and toss with olive oil and lemon or your own dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste if no spices in your dressing.
- Top with grated cauliflower, or just grate the cauliflower after salad is mixed. (You can toss again to coat the cauliflower with oil or just leave plain on top.)
Note: If you add cooked chickpeas, you will boost the protein in the salad.
*Here are links to three other recipes I have featured using cauliflower, one of which has more detailed nutritional info:
1. Cinco DeMayo Cauliflower https://www.menupause.info/archives/13998
2. Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cauliflower:
3. Cauliflower-in-the-Round: https://www.menupause.info/archives/1913