When I returned from vacation, I went across the street to my local Acme & bought organic carrots, cauliflower & broccoli plus lettuce greens to start restocking my ‘frig. I decided to steam the 3 veggies and then toss them with dressing to eat first hot and then chilled. Double duty cooking is helpful when I feel overwhelmed with unpacking, laundry, mail, and all the other trivia associated with “decompressing” from vacation. This might also be a good dish to use chilled over the summer when eating outdoors, using veggies in season, like red bell peppers, snow peas, etc.
Utensils: Steamer basket, large pot, cutting board & knife, colander, serving bowl
Prep Time: About 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 7-10 minutes
Categories: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Sugar Free
1-2 org. carrots, scrubbed and chopped coarsely
broccoli tops & cauliflower pieces equal to about 4 cups
olive or sesame oil
herbs of your choice
sesame seeds, caraway, poppy or fennel seeds (your choice)
1. Place 1-2 inches water in a large pot with a steamer basket. Turn heat to medium.
2. Scrub and cut carrots into bite-sized chunks and place below the steamer basket to cook in the water. (Carrots take the longest so this is quicker than steaming.)
3. Wash broccoli & cauliflower well and drain in colander. Remove bottom part of broccoli, place in freezer to use for soup stock. Slice cauliflower pieces (one or two) into bite-sized pieces. (I put the hard core and leaves in the freezer for stock, also.)
4. Place cauliflower and broccoli pieces in the top of the steamer and steam for about 5 minutes. Place these in a large serving bowl. Remove steamer basket and then remove the carrots with a slotted spoon. Add to serving bowl.
5. Toss the veggies with one-two tablespoons of oil, juice of 1/2 lemon, and herbs of your choice. Serve hot. Any leftovers can be chilled. Additional dressing maybe needed. (Feel free to use your own favorite dressing.)
Note: As mentioned above, feel free to add other veggies, such as slivers of red bell pepper, mushrooms, etc. They can be added to steamer during last 3 2minutes or used raw, creating a mixture of cooked & raw veggies. I like the texture of the raw mixed with the cooked.