This is an easy recipe that takes no time to make. You can embellish it or keep it plain & simple. You can use my dressing or one of your own. Play around with it until you get the combination of ingredients you like.
Utensils: Cutting board & knife, grater, bowl for serving
Prep. Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking Time: None
Category: Vegan, Gluten Free
one yellow summer squash
1/2 c. bean sprouts
1/2 dill pickle (optional)
1/4 cup arame seaweed, soaked (optional)*
sesame seeds for garnish
Dressing (Whisk together):
2. T. sesame oil (toasted or untoasted)
1 T. rice or plum vinegar
dash of each of these: mustard, cayenne pepper, tamari
1. Grate each of the first three veggies. (I keep the skin on the yellow squash & zucchini, but I peel the beet. Also, I rinse the grated beet, so it won’t bleed into the other 2 veggies.)
2. Add bean sprouts. Then add chopped pickle and soaked arame, if using.
3. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss veggies with 1/2 the dressing. Place other half on table for those who wish more.
4. Sprinkle on sesame seeds and serve.
Yield: Depending on the size of your squashes and beets, this can serve 2-4 people.
Variations: Use mayonnaise instead of my dressing. Add snow peas cut into thirds. Add sunflower seeds for crunch.
Note: You can also stir fry the veggies for 5 minutes and serve them hot, adding bean sprouts at the very end.
*Arame is a thread-like sea vegetable that has a sweet taste when softened in warm water. If you decide to use it, soak it before doing any of the other steps; then drain and add after the rest of the ingredients, except the sesame seed topping, are mixed.