My sister-in-law made this soup for me on our visit to Rhode Island at the end of January. The original recipe is made with chicken stock, but Carol made it with Pacific veggie stock (for me), which I featured at the end of last month in P.I.C. (Product Information Corner) under Products and Services. I love this soup, so I am sharing her vegetarian version with you. The dill is really what makes this soup so special; but then, I love dill!
Utensils: Cutting board, knife, soup pot, and pot for rice if it is not cooked beforehand
Prep. Time: about 1/2 hour
Cooking Time: 1/2 – 3/4 hour (You can add the veggies to the stock as you cut them to save cooking time)
Ingredients (Organic when possible)
One cup cooked brown rice*
2 Tbl. butter (or olive oil)
one chopped onion
1 Tbl. flour
48 oz. vegetable stock (approximately)
3 carrots, scrubbed & chopped
3 celery stalks, scrubbed and chopped
one potato, scrubbed and chopped (white or sweet)
one can of organic kidney beans (I use Eden)
salt, pepper, or seasonings of your choice (I use 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe’s)
1. Melt 2 tbsp. butter in soup pot. Brown one chopped onion in butter or oil. Mix 1 tbsp. flour into butter and onion to make roux.
2. Add approximately 6 cups (Pacific ) veggie stock and stir with onions.
3. Add three chopped carrots; add three chopped celery stalks; add one chopped potato; add ½ cup cooked rice; add one can drained dark kidney beans.
4. Cook (simmer) just below boiling point for approximately 30 minutes (longer if necessary to cook vegetables all the way through).
5. When ready to serve, add seasonings as desired. When serving, add chopped fresh dill to bowl; (may also add fresh chopped parsley if so desired. )
Yield: About eight servings. Serve with crisp bread or crackers.
* If you have not precooked the rice, you can cook it while preparing the other vegetables. Brown rice needs to cook at least 30 minutes. If it is a little firm, you can add it to the soup when everything else has been added, because it will finish cooking with the other veggies.